List of Superintendents

thomasofficer
Thomas Officer, Esq. (1845 – 1855)

~ Became ISD’s first superintendent
~ Taught at the Ohio School for the Deaf
~ Traveled throughout the state, actively recruiting deaf children
~ Name was changed to “Illinois Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb” in 1849
~ Main Building completed

 ____________________________________________________________

philipgillett
Dr. Philip Goode Gillett (1856 – 1893)

~ Taught at the Indiana School for the Deaf
~ Became superintendent at age 23
~ ISD had 22 students and 2 teachers.
~ When he retired, there were 500 students and 42 teachers.
~ After visiting Clarke School for the Deaf in 1867, P. G. Gillett added the oral method called “Articulation” to ISD.
~ Students wore uniforms, 1892-1899.
~ Stayed at ISD for 37 years
~ His son later became an ISD superintendent.

 ____________________________________________________________

swalker

S. Tefft Walker (1893 – 1897)

~ Was formerly the superintendent of the Kansas School for the Deaf
~ Started out as a private secretary to Dr. Philip Gillett
~ 1895 – “The Castle,” now the Health Center, was completed, for little boys
~ 1896 – Started kindergarten
~ Started admitting students younger than ten years old
~ Developed rotating schedules for students

 ____________________________________________________________

josephgordon

Dr. Joseph Claybaugh Gordon (1897 – 1902)

~ Came to ISD from Gallaudet University, known at that time as the National Deaf-Mute College
~ Alexander Graham Bell was instrumental in Gordon becoming superintendent
~ Discouraged the use of sign language
~ Students no longer had to wear uniforms
~ First industrial training given to girls through domestic science

 ____________________________________________________________

charlesgillett
Charles Phipps Gillett (1902 – 1918)

~ Son of former Supt. Philip G. Gillett
~ Grew up on ISD campus
~ Assisted his father in various capacities; also served as an assistant superintendent
~ Worked at several deaf schools:
* Minnesota:  acting supt., 1893-1896
* Louisiana:   instructor, 1896-1897
* Illinois:  instructor, 1899
~ Became acting superintendent upon Supt. Gordon’s death
~ Appointed as superintendent by Governor Richard Yates
~ In 1903 the name of this school was changed to the Illinois School for the Deaf

 ____________________________________________________________

harveywhite
Harvey Trimble White (1918 – 1921)

~ Was the superintendent of several schools in Illinois:  Greene County, Roodhouse, Carlinville, and Staunton
~ Held a state supervisory teacher’s certificate, endorsed for life
~ Served as the principal of teacher training at the Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Orphan Home in Normal, Illinois
~ Emphasis was placed on the oral approach.
~ Boy and Girl Scout troops were formed at ISD.

 ____________________________________________________________

oscarsmith
Colonel Oscar C. Smith (1921 – 1927)

~ The first of the three political appointees awarded for service in the Spanish-American War
~ Organized Military Corps for boys, known as “The Pershing Cadets”
~ Started ISD’s first homecoming football game in 1922
~ School band started in 1923 with Fred Fancher as instructor
~ Instituted teacher training at ISD through the University of Illinois

 ____________________________________________________________

johnreig
Colonel John W. Reig (1927)

~ The second of the three political appointees awarded for service in the Spanish-American War
~ Superintendent for only 6 months

 ____________________________________________________________

frankwhipp
Colonel Frank D. Whipp (1927 – 1929)

~ The last of the three political appointees awarded for service in the Spanish-American War
~ Burns Gym completed

 ____________________________________________________________

danielcloud
Dr. Daniel Tuttle Cloud (1929 – 1952)

~ Had Deaf parents; both graduated from ISD
~ Enclosed swimming pool added to Burns Gym in 1932
~ Three school-dorms completed:
* 1935 Thomas Officer Hall (Unit 1 – B1/G1):  Primary
* 1936 Henry Horner Hall (Unit 2 – B2/G2):  Acoustic
* 1940 Selah Wait Hall (Unit 3 – B3/G3):  Manual
~ Main Building North Wing had an Oral Department: Unit 4
~ 744 students enrolled in 1936
~ Bowen Auditorium completed in 1937
~ Initiated the Institute for Parents of Deaf Children program in 1945

 ____________________________________________________________

thomaskline
Dr. Thomas Karl Kline (1952 – 1960)

~ Participated in the Illinois College/ISD student program
~ Received teacher training at Clarke School in Massachusetts
~ Taught 3 years at the Rochester School for the Deaf
~ Earned a graduate degree in education at Gallaudet College, 1942
~ Taught chemistry at Gallaudet College, 1942-1947
Supervisor, teacher in the oral department (1947),  and assistant superintendent (1948-1952) at ISD
~ Henry A. Molohon Vocational Building completed
~ Educational program officially recognized by ISBE
~ Was an avid supporter of extra-curricular activities (ECA) and athletic events

 ____________________________________________________________

kennethmanganDr. Kenneth Raymond Mangan (1960 – 1976)

~ Teacher and dean of students at Michigan School for the Deaf
~ Principal at Gallaudet Day School in St. Louis, Missouri
~ Unit 4/High School on all 3 floors in north wing of Main Building, 1963-1973
~ Several buildings completed:
* Cafeteria, 1965
* Elementary School/Unit 5, 1966
* Physical Plant, 1967
* High School and Media Center,1973
~ Initiated first special unit for children with multiple disabilities in the U.S.A

 ____________________________________________________________

williamjohnson
Dr. William Page Johnson (1976 – 1987)

~ First Deaf superintendent
~ Had Deaf parents
~ Has a Deaf son
~ Established the Jacksonville Heritage Cultural Museum in Main Building
~ Initiated renovation plans for Main Building
~ Active in the community and professional organizations

 ____________________________________________________________

larrystewart
Dr. Larry Gene Stewart (1987 – 1989)

~ Second Deaf superintendent
~ Graduated from Texas School for the Deaf and Gallaudet University
~ Administrator at Texas School for the Deaf; counselor at California School for the Deaf, Riverside
~ Initiated plans for the 150th celebration of ISD’s establishment
~ Founded the ISDAA Museum
~ Initiated the Illinois Foundation for Deaf Children (IFDC)

 ____________________________________________________________

peterseilerDr. Peter Joseph Seiler (1989 – 1995)

~ Third Deaf superintendent
~ Taught classes at Hinsdale South HS, Chicago; ISU-Normal; and National Technical Institute for the Deaf in Rochester, New York
~ Served as chair for different departments at NTID
~ Principal at Nebraska School for the Deaf
~ 1990: Marshall Gym completed and named for Charles Clyde Marshall
~ Burns Gym named for Sanford Robey Burns
~ Curriculum changed to outcome format
~ 1992-1994:  Main Building renovated
~ 1994:  Designated Local Landmark/National Register Historic District seal placed on front of Main Building
~ Art work designed for Main Building

 ____________________________________________________________

joanforney
Joan Mary Forney, Ed.S. (1995 – 2006)

~ First woman superintendent
~ Teacher, elementary principal, and assistant superintendent at ISD
~ Leader in curriculum development and revision
~ Implemented STAR Schools project
~ Wing added to elementary building
~ Expanded outreach programs (HVC, HEAR)

 ____________________________________________________________

marybethlauderdale
Marybeth Lauderdale, Ed.S. (2006 – 2012)

~ Second woman superintendent
~ College worker, HS literature teacher, Media Center director, and assistant superintendent at ISD
~ Earned Ed.S. from Gallaudet University, 2009
~ Implemented Accelerated Reading and Math Programs; started Direct Instruction
~ Created Deaf-Hearing Mentor program
~ Worked to expand ISD’s role as a state leader/resource for Deaf/hard of hearing students
~ Broadband task force board member

 ____________________________________________________________

janicewarshawDr. Janice Smith-Warshaw (2013 – 2015)

~ First Deaf woman superintendent
~ Appointed by Governor Pat Quinn
~ ECE principal, HS principal, and curriculum director at California School for the Deaf, Riverside
~ Earned Ed.S. from Gallaudet University, 2009; Ed.D. from the University of Redlands, California, 2013
~ First to require K-12 ASL classes
~ Introduced the CSD Fremont & Riverside ASL curricula
~ Provides leadership in the development of positive attitude planning for ASL and Cued Speech on campus
~ Serves on the 175th Anniversary committee
~ Invites guest speakers to present about Deaf culture

 ____________________________________________________________

The information for this booklet was gleaned from the
Illinois School for the Deaf Alumni Association Museum.

Booklet developed by Nancy Kelly-Jones
Much appreciation to Kitty Aubry, Elaine Cady, Dave Cook III, Joe Dearing, Joan Forney, Rozie Jacobs, Dr. Mickey Jones, Marene Mattern, and Janet Pyers